Nick n Ants Holiday Diaries

Saturday, April 21, 2007


Japan to Australia via Eastern Europe - Part 18 - Day 16 - Bludge Holiday day in Budapest

Ant wakes up before me (shock) and chats with the owner and internets... He has this weird obsession with checking his old work's email address for the whole trip - which is strange and I think he needs help.

Anyhow - I woke up about 9ish and we both had breakfast. I'm starting to enjoy the whole eastern europe "bread roll with ham, salami and cheese" thing for breakfast - I'm soo euro baby...

I blog for a bit (gawd my spelling mistakes are so bad on this - but I'm on holidays - and so is grammar and english too!) before we both leave the guesthouse at around 10:30ish...

I keep forgetting to mention about my beard - it is growing slowly - like grass growing in the depths of winter... Ant now thinks that I have hit puberty - and have now hit my terrible teens or something...

Feeling a bit over musuems and stuff - we decide to head out and just wander... Because of our "lack of getting out of guesthouse before 10:30" - we had missed all of the tickets to Parliment for the day. So instead of doing this - we headed to a "park island" thing in the middle of the Danbue that wasn't in LP. It was a pretty cool park (which sort of reminded me of Central Park in NY) - there were youfs fighting (our word for "youths") under a bridge, lots of inappropriate bathers sunbaking (including a "whale of a woman" with a fluro pink thong on) and plenty of Canberrean Mr Spoke-esque four-wheel bikes around - trying to run Ant and I down. It felt good getting out of the hurly-burly of city life - and relaxing in a relatively lush and green park.

We head to the nearby metro - whilst we both notice that once you get out of the "touristy bits" of Budapest - it tends to get a bit "communistic" public housing-esque.... (just like Krakow).

On our little badarse routine - we both don't buy metro tickets (oooohh ahhhhh) and get away with it.

Because we both didn't feeling like doing anything touristy today - we headed to a nearby mall (the "West End Mall" to be precise) and checked out the food trough for lunchies... We both made the same mistake and had ordered the free-world's coldest pasta ever for lunch (when it was supposed to be hot).

I attempted to buy shoes at the mall - from various retailers - but I had come to the conclusion that all shops in Hungry had only stocked up to euro size 45 - when I'm a 48... What is this - Japan??

We came across a store called Aboriginal (this is no joke) - which was a youf store which was full of bad Australian-inspired street ware. You could get dodgy "New South Wales" t-shirts and dodgier "Abo Denmin" jeans (the most racist jeans on the planet)... You'd think with a name like "Aboriginal" - you'd think the clothes would have the Aboriginal flag on them - but no..... everything had the Australian-union jack flack on it - just to rub more mud in indigenous australian's faces... Perhaps I should call the Ngunnawal people back at home and get them to fly over to Budapest and burn down every Aboriginal outlet there is....? To make matters worse - they loved to use bad mullet models in their promotional shots...

Ant buys a couple of male singlets from a female underware shop - they were so kind to put his purchases in a rather feminine bag - so he could walk out of the shop in feminine style...baby...

We head back to the Guesthouse - where I chill out and explores the city a bit more. In a bit of a shocking development on the metro - Ant was attempted pick-pocketed by some old gypsy woman on the metro. Ant said that he could feel someone go for his back trouser pocket - but thankfully - Ant and I always travel with our wallets in our front pockets. This gypsy woman wasn't doing the Romas any favours in terms of sterotypes after our visit to the Halocaust Roma display... So pickpocketers in the future should read this blog to get advice as how to mug us...

We have a few glasses of Hungarian vino at home (this time - I bought the wine - so it wasn't complete paint stripper material) - and I post our 100th blog.

Feeling rather uninspired - we head out to Cafe Elclectica for dinner again. I had ordered some weird Hungarian pasta dish and Ant had some more goulash - but next time - I think I might order that dead baby veal again... (so good).

We have another nanna night and head home. Upon arrival at the guesthouse - the hired help (who seemed pretty young) - had invited all of his friends over to have a poker night (as you do). They were pretty roudy - and Ant couldn't sleep over the noise - so he internets a bit... (as you do).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home