Nick n Ants Holiday Diaries

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Japan to Home via Eastern Europe - Part 1 - Tickets, Money Passport...

I was getting off to a great start to the holiday. As we were in a mad rush to pick up Ant's mum from Deakin (on our way to the airport - how logical) - I had completely forgotten to grab my tickets, money and passport before leaving our apartment. Just like Edina from Absolutely Fabulous.

Our drive to collect Ant's mum up was a little crazy. We were running pretty late (as it was Ant's last day of work at his old job - so he was busy wrapping things up) and Ant was continually berating other drivers especially the “Driving Miss Daisy”-esque driver over Kings Avenue.

After saying our goodbyes to Ant’s mum (who me and her have a “interesting relationship” to say the least) – we discovered that our flight to Sydney has been delayed due to the fog earlier this morning. We were sorting of thinking the worst for our flight out of Sydney to Tokyo – as the original connecting time was tight enough – surely this delay would make us late…

After the Qantas Check-in chick almost forgot to hand over my passport – we headed to the Qantas Club and downed a few glasses of red wine. I was playing “The Sims 2” on my PSP – whereby my character was pretty much bonking the whole population of the town of “Strangesville”. If anything had a pulse – my character would bonk it.

Meanwhile in reality – our flight was getting even more delayed. We weren’t leaving Canberra until 8pm-ish and our flight out of Sydney was supposed to leave at 9:45pm-ish…

We finally caught the 8ish flight – it was another one of those “Crash-8” bug-smasher planes (I like to call them Fokker Friendships – but I think Fokkers are bigger and better than the Dash 8’s). They served some weird dip food on the flight (as one serves at dinner time).

Ant and I were totally panicking by the time we landed at Sydney Airport – we had to race through the whole distance of the Domestic Terminal – only to be thwarted by the Qantas International Transfer Bus service. There was only four people waiting for the bus (and no more flights were coming into Sydney Domestic) – yet we all had to wait 20 mins until the bus driver got off his sorry arse to drive the bus over to International (only after Ant had a go at them). While Ant was complaining – I was totally busting for the toilet. Because there is only one toilet per male / female toilet (ie: you lock the front door when you go in) and there was some guy using the male toilets – I made a quick dash to the female toilets. How unusual – the toilet seat was down. I was getting flashes of Emily Howard from Little Britain (“don’t to put the seat down Florence before you take a PISS”)…

Amazingly enough – the immigration was dead quiet at the international terminal. We raced straight through – and because we just had enough time – I got the GST back from my brand new suit that I was taking to the wedding.

Our flight to Narita (aka Tokyo) was chockers. We had two front-of-economy bulk head thingy seats. There was a toddler (of dubious toddler age) who was sitting in the middle. They always seem to want to put toddlers near us on planes…

The flight itself wasn’t that bad – all the wines I had at the Qantas Club and on the flight made me pretty drowsy and I did sleep for a fair whack of the flight (not like me). The movies were pretty good too (not like flying) – I saw a couple of Spanish movies (Volver which is well recommended and Pan’s Labyrinth) and Ant saw the Queen and the King of Scotland (which looked pretty violent towards the end). So even though it was an overnight flight to Narita – I didn’t really feel all that wrecked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home