Nick n Ants Holiday Diaries

Saturday, February 02, 2008


4th Day at Selva

I wake up at 5am today - agghhh - maybe I'm not quite over that jet lag yet...

After some sugary ceral, sugary marmalade crossiants and cold meat, cheese and stale bread - Sacko (Sacha and Taeko joined together like Tomkat or Brangelina - or what about Tasha - I prefer Tasha) go out to a cheaper snowboard and hire another snowboard for Taeko (after having a rest day the previous day).

Meanwhile - my mum has been threatening me with buying a helmet all holiday. She finally delivered her threat and bought me one. I wasn't interested in a helmet - they are uncomfortable, bulky to lug around and I never crash (I didn't crash once these holidays - my single fall in Japan was a bit of a blip) - and my mum and I caused a bit of a public scene - Jerry Springer style - out the front of a shop. After my mum screamed at me a few times - I begrudgingly followed her into the shop and we bought a helmet. Later that day - I gave Ant an SMS update of the situation. My mum said "I bet you texted that my mum was a mega bitch and bought me a helmet" - she was fairly spot on the money.

After the helmet incident - we headed out to Corvara (which we had skied through yesterday on the Sellaronda). The area was surprisingly expansive and there were plenty of runs.... even on the "Bamby" chairlift. Although everything is still really basic - everything is groomed to the max and something more challenging would be more rewarding. Even my mum (who is notorious for not wanting to do black runs) - wanted something more challenging out of the skiing.

We make a mistake and go to a restaurant for lunch (not of the "self-service" variety). The service was very Essen-esque (sorry Essen - but your service does tend to suck) with lots of droids around who were avoiding you. After about 5 minutes we managed to get some menus (I think my dad walked up and got them) and after another 10 mins - they took our order. I ordered some penne arrabiata which is one of my favs - but I was a little let down by it today because it had no spicy kick to it (like a good peene arrabiata should). Despite my meal not being great - it was better than my dad's dismal (but dirt cheap) cheese burger and my mum's frozen spinach dumpling things. We all made a pact never to come to this restaurant again - and only stick to self-service where lunch can be had in a speedy fashion.

Because lunch had taken so long (and the fact that lifts close here sort of early) - we had to make our way back to Selva. We bump into Tasha who were skiing by themselves today along the way. I think Taeko had been having lots of breaks and was feeling rather sore.

At dinner - my mum is fairly competitive. We only get a choice of about 2 or 3 meals - but she always claims that her's is the best meal. I thought I might go something radical for my main and order a Salad... wrong choice (was some rocket leaves probably left over from the night before and some roma tomatoes with some dodgy cheese and no taste).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home