Nick n Ants Holiday Diaries

Saturday, February 02, 2008


Last skiing day at Selva

To try and outdo myself - today I woke up at 2am... Yeh! However - I think I managed to go back to sleep around 4 and sleep in till 7:30am.

Taeko was having one of her off days today - so it was just myself, Sacha and my parents skiing today. There was a ski stealing incident overnight at our hotel. When we were putting our boots on in the drying room - one of the guests (the single woman - my parents were gossiping about other guests every night and breakfast at th restaurant) was walking around asking people if anyone had seen her skis. Later today - my mum meets up with her on a lift and she said that not only hers put several other skis were stolen overnight. Although the hotel has a combo (15-12-C if you wanted to know - they are all multiples of 3) - it didn't stop people stealing the skis. My dad thought that perhaps it could have been an inside job - who knows... Luckily my mum had put travel locks on our rental skis (although I wasn't really concerned about people stealing a bunch of rental skis) - but it would have been a total pain in the arse to replace them.

We head back over to Corvina. I was complaining for a bit about how uncomfortable my helmet was - so I just loosen it to the loosest setting. Sacha has a bunch of stickers on his - including the Summer Heights High Jonah's "Dicktation" tag. I have one of those stickers at home (it came with the DVD) - so it could finally come in handy when I want to pimp my helmet.

There were huge queues today on the gondolas - it is a bit of a pain getting out to Corvara from Selva as there a lots of boring "road runs" and painful lifts to catch in order to get there. I think it takes about 1 hour to get there.

We all have a coffee at a cafeteria where my parents finally discover how to order a long black in Italy. It is an americano (I think they think it is like that filtered coffee you get everywhere at the states).

We attempt to take mum down another black run - but she refues and goes down the red alternative. When Dad, Sacha and I get down to the bottom of the mountain - we notice that the red run doesn't finish at the same place. The black run takes you to the world's smallest train whereas the red run takes you to the world's smallest chair lift. However - we work out that these two meet at the same place - the bottom of the gondola - and we meet up again.

We had lunch at a fairly expesnive self service restaurant (didn't want to risk it with another non-self service restaurant again). Since it was late - they didn't have much on the menu and I ordered a "Pasta a la Piz Sorega". Piz Sorega isn't some type of Italian pasta sauce - it is named after the nearby lift and run...

Because it was getting on in the day - we all head back to Selva (where my mum sat on a chairlift with the single woman at the hotel who had her skis stolen). The queues getting back to Selva were pretty horrendous - I was glad that this was my last day here. We all split up on the last run - I managed to do some off piste skiing in a car park (accidently).

I head back to the ski hire shop and return my stuff. The old alcoholic Italian guy says "OK" in semi-broken english. I then head to the shops at Selva for one final time to pick up some supplies for our trip to Venice tomorrow. I also take some pictures of all of the statues of baby cheeses just to show it to Ant.

We have our final meal at the restaurant. I had some pasta for an entre which was nice - and a fairly boring "veal chop" (or schniztel) for a main - topped up with some Apple Strudel for desert. We were all going to miss Borat - our waiter... he truly was kind of unsettling in an eastern european sort of way. We also said goodbye to "Kindergarten Cop" - another waitress - who was a dead ringer for the actress who played the principle in Kindergarten Cop (that small freakish sort of woman - who also had roles in other dodgy movies like "If Looks Could Kill" and "She-Devil").

On the way out - Taeko and I notice a "Pope Magazine" - I do what any good Christian would do and steal it so I can take it home and show Ant....!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home